A well-equipped 24hr 5 bed A&E unit with trauma room is the first point of call for all emergencies at IHK. The unit is staffed with highly qualified nursing and medical staff overseen by a UK trained specialist with over 15 years of experience in the medical field.
Premium Ambulance Call Service
- Fully equipped ambulance fleet - 1 basic life support and 2 critical care ambulances including brand new state of the art Mercedes Benz sprinter fitted with advanced life support equipment including ventilation and advanced monitoring
- Two man call centre
- 15 – 20mins response time within Kampala
- Advanced cardiac life support trained critical care nurse
- Basic Life Support trained driver
- Advanced cardiac life support trained doctor/critical care specialist depending on patient’s condition
Intensive Care Services
IHK runs an 11-bed intensive care unit (ICU) run by a team of intensive care specialists (including neonatal, paediatric and adult intensive care specialists) which boasts the following:
- Dedicated and highly experienced nursing team with ratios of 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 for very sick patients
- 2 level one isolation/ barrier nursing rooms
- Draeger and Philips life support ventilators that can provide full care to all patients, ranging from the very small new-born up to the full adult.
- Invasive intelligent physiologic monitors that ensure improved response to changes in patient condition
- Intelligent drug infusion devices that administer lifesaving medication to critically ill patients
- Intelligent point of care devices for biochemical assays laboratory to reduce on diagnostic waiting times, including the AQT immuno-coagulation analyser, the first of its kind in the region.
- Electronic beds and specialised neonatal warmers for use in the intensive care environment
Different types of dialysis including conventional dialysis machines and a CRRT machine enabling dialysis of patients that cannot tolerate conventional dialysis.